Friday, October 17, 2014

Countdown to decompression surgery

We are on the countdown.  Just days away from heading to the children's hospital and have Baby Girl's head and neck opened up.  Scary thoughts for sure.  She's ready, the headaches are really bad, some days, and other days, they are less than bad.

How does one prepare for this type of thing?  How do you handle all the questions people have?  What can they do to help?  I love my friends and family for all their support.  I'm thinking they just give me an IV of muscle relaxants to ease my fears, or wine?  I'm trying to get things ready at home so my wonderful husband and the boy will be okay every evening.  Frozen meals are labeled in the freezer, family is set to bring some food by for them too.  Laundry will all be washed up, groceries bought, litter boxes cleaned, dog to the groomer, notes for the hubby....  Am I ready?

I promised Baby Girl that I will not leave her side.  So I've got to get my butt in gear and pack a bag for me as well.  Charging cords for the phone, camera, and Kindle are ready to go.  Pillows, blankets, her beloved blankie, some comfy clothes for us both.  What about snacks? Drinks?  I'm sure I'll forget something along the way.

As she enjoys her 13th birthday party and house full of giggling girls, I'm trying to make sure I appear to be strong and positive.  Deep down, I'm not.  Scared, nervous, and totally scatter-brained.  I just keep telling myself that I'm the mom, I have to put on a brave front for her so she won't realize how scary this is.  Plus, I've got to make sure the house is still running smoothly and everything is in place.

Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment